OCS

Orbital Can System

The Orbital CAN System is a low cost space station concept, consisting of interconnecting modules to deliver a wide range of user options. Used together the CAN System provides a complete station with all the necessary equipment and components to satisfy a wide range of orbital needs. 

Due to commonality in design components over a wide range of uses, costs can be decreased through large volume production that is not currently available to existing technologies.

The Orbital Can System leverages simple manufacturing techniques and commercial off-the-shelf components, to create a versatile pressurised volume which customers can outfit appropriately for their application with minimal modifications required.

The project focuses on technical details for two standard sizes of module —with volumes of 70 and 580 cubic metres— along with a range of standard subsystems including thermal management, power, environmental control, life support, and payload storage. 

All of these systems have been designed with future expandability in mind, allowing the Orbital Can System to mitigate obsolescence and provide logistics support to both near-term monolithic volumes and longer-term development of large modular space stations.

 

DUBAI IAC2021 White paper can be viewed here

DUBAI  IAC2021 Presentation video 

 

System breakdown and design requirements

ECLSS Overview spreadsheet

Sketchfab

Recent Discord Chat

#ocs-chat
Tech_And_Sci May 21, 2022 @ 12:49am
Also, any update on the email?
CosmicComposer May 20, 2022 @ 10:58pm
Would any one have any connections with their institution to accelerate the peer review process? Or shall we develop a DL platform to review it for us?
Tech_And_Sci May 15, 2022 @ 3:13pm
I'd recommend sending a reply email as soon as possible and getting the review underway
Tech_And_Sci May 15, 2022 @ 2:53pm
Ah I see
Ross (/u/_albertross) May 15, 2022 @ 9:15am
My understanding is that it means authors who've published previously in JBIS, rather than papers which have already been published elsewhere
Tech_And_Sci May 15, 2022 @ 2:32am
Would our papers come under Previous papers?
Tech_And_Sci May 15, 2022 @ 2:31am
Sounds good! I'm going to try and look for reference and formatting guidelines for the Journal of the British Interplanetary Society
Ross (/u/_albertross) May 14, 2022 @ 5:01pm
I'll send off an email tomorrow or Monday
Cimmero (Enrico) May 11, 2022 @ 5:18pm
@​Sam (FARMM) did you go ahead with this or do we need to pay the fee first?
Cimmero (Enrico) May 10, 2022 @ 10:35am
Second that
Ross (/u/_albertross) May 10, 2022 @ 10:22am
We could also submit an application to Council to get some funding for this. £200 ($250) might be a reasonable price for having NA papers be peer-reviewed
Cimmero (Enrico) May 10, 2022 @ 10:16am
We can split by all the authors I guess? It would not be much in that case. I am member of BIS but not fellow
Ross (/u/_albertross) May 10, 2022 @ 10:10am
It's also worth noting there is a fee for this, although there's no additional charge for making it free and open access (CC-BY-NC licence), which gives us full control over the new text
Ross (/u/_albertross) May 10, 2022 @ 10:09am
I'll reply to Dave and ask what the process is for getting past review. I suspect it'll mean some slight reformatting and putting the references into a fixed format
Cimmero (Enrico) May 10, 2022 @ 9:04am
The exciting part for me would be that it will be peer reviewed! Big validation!
Szymek (Simon) Matkowski May 9, 2022 @ 5:43pm
would be nice to publish it again
Tech_And_Sci May 9, 2022 @ 3:27pm
I would say let's go ahead with it! I'll fix the issues for the Universal Berthing Mechanism paper and alert Simon to this as well
Cimmero (Enrico) May 9, 2022 @ 3:12pm
if @​Next Astro Koen can't follow up I will be happy to help to update the paper
Cimmero (Enrico) May 9, 2022 @ 3:10pm
lot of work has been done on OCS, would be a shame to not use it
Cimmero (Enrico) May 9, 2022 @ 3:09pm
Peer review is good I guess, can be a good Segway to further the design. I would like to go ahead with this!
Ross (/u/_albertross) May 9, 2022 @ 12:37pm
Just got a very interesting email from JBIS (the British Interplanetary Society's journal) - we should discuss if it's worth doing
Pablo Mayrgundter April 22, 2022 @ 11:30pm
I hired an industrial designer to draft it in FreeCAD and export to IFC format. Lmk if you'd like to use
kyle🚀 April 17, 2022 @ 8:42pm
No I told cam about it
sudo killall windows April 17, 2022 @ 8:42pm
So you just left the server without mentioning it?
kyle🚀 April 17, 2022 @ 8:42pm
OC showed no chance at the time of flying so the choice was made to no longer be part of it,if orbital can is going to fly we will happily reopen the project
sudo killall windows April 17, 2022 @ 8:34pm
Since you're here, what happened to OCSSC?
kyle🚀 April 17, 2022 @ 8:22pm
^my team is going to use that for a upcoming sat definitely something you guys should look in to
Pablo Mayrgundter April 17, 2022 @ 8:21pm
i'll also link it in the #ocs-universal-berthing-mechanism channel
Pablo Mayrgundter April 17, 2022 @ 8:21pm
maybe of interest for y'all
Pablo Mayrgundter April 17, 2022 @ 8:20pm
Just saw a news report about an open-source satellite docking spec being published by Lockheed.. https://contact.lockheedmartin.com/map
Pablo Mayrgundter April 17, 2022 @ 8:20pm
Hey guys, been a long time!
Space Instructor March 26, 2022 @ 7:38pm
great work
codeflight March 26, 2022 @ 5:34pm
that looks really good!
Szymek (Simon) Matkowski March 26, 2022 @ 5:07pm
@​Betamaxx (James) - thanks for help!
Szymek (Simon) Matkowski March 26, 2022 @ 5:07pm
it is not published on official page.
Szymek (Simon) Matkowski March 26, 2022 @ 5:06pm
@​Next Astro Koen @​Sean @​Cimmero (Enrico) @​Sam (FARMM) @​Cameron (SSAM) Guys - OCS webpage for review http://stage.nexusaurora.org/projects/orbital-can-system/
Cimmero (Enrico) March 17, 2022 @ 10:07am
ok 👍
rough93 March 11, 2022 @ 5:05pm
https://discord.com/channels/731855215816343592/812721892406460447/947884571796574258 @​Cimmero (Enrico) would you be able to get this info together? It shouldn't take long and we can help with any missing info
Cimmero (Enrico) March 4, 2022 @ 2:07pm
The project leader has been time poor because of work. Also, to be said, it is not the easiest project to fund , you still need 1-3B $ to fly a space station
Aero March 4, 2022 @ 3:00am
Im a little behind on the going-ons of the server, could I ask why?
Cimmero (Enrico) March 2, 2022 @ 2:37pm
It has been on hold since November 21 at the moment.
OrestBryk March 1, 2022 @ 1:54pm
@​Sean @​Next Astro Koen is there any chance communication or progress has been made on this subject? Thanks!
SeanW February 3, 2022 @ 12:22pm
I have his personal contact details. He should respond
OrestBryk February 3, 2022 @ 12:22pm
I have reached out to Koen recently but to no avail. I’m not sure if he’s very active at the moment
OrestBryk February 3, 2022 @ 12:21pm
Understood. Thanks!
SeanW February 3, 2022 @ 12:21pm
Ill send Koen a text asking to see if he can help you out
SeanW February 3, 2022 @ 12:21pm
sorry, just checked. I cant edit them on their website. This is up to simon for the UBM and Koen for the other 2. I passed over all the rights as I was getting busy and was scared I could not attend to issues as they came up
OrestBryk February 3, 2022 @ 12:19pm
Understood. Thank you very much for working on this problem for me. I appreciate it a lot!
SeanW February 3, 2022 @ 12:18pm
Hey. I can see if I can add you as a co-author. But I moved most of my editing rights to Koen, so he may have to do that
OrestBryk February 3, 2022 @ 12:13pm
Is there any chance I can get help with this @​Sean @​Cameron (SSAM) @​Next Astro Koen ?
OrestBryk February 3, 2022 @ 12:12pm
I am not included in that either. Only on the draft that is available on our website, not on the IAC/IAF website
Szymek (Simon) Matkowski February 3, 2022 @ 12:07pm
there is also a thing with a paper itself - on the top there is a strict list of authors.
OrestBryk February 3, 2022 @ 10:21am
Understood! Thank you very much, Bigred!
bigred February 3, 2022 @ 10:17am
the reason is to do with the copyright for publishing which IAF require. On all the papers we signed the copyright over to NA and gave the publishing for IAC over to IAF and IAC. This protected the rights of the authors and NA to publish and develop the designs and concepts coming from the papers. So on any IAF sites they have 100% rights to publish but we retain the right to publish in other areas. So away from the IAF sites the names of the authors will be available however on the IAF sites you may find they dont display. So NA retains the rights of publishing with the cooperation and agreement of the authors. Under this agreement with the authors, with which we signed the paper publishing rights to NA, the authors are allowed to publish under their name with the written agreement of NA. As Sean, Cameron and Koen are the recognised legal representatives of NA at this time you just need to get the written permission from them..... which I know they will be happy to give 🙂
OrestBryk February 2, 2022 @ 8:19pm
I think the people that would know how to remedy this would be either @​Sean or @​Next Astro Koen or @​Szymek (Simon) Matkowski as they are fellow authors and participated in uploading the document to the IAC.
OrestBryk February 2, 2022 @ 8:18pm
I am currently applying for access to a few research paper databases which require proof that I have participated in a publication and/or am a researcher. Here's the issue, when I sent them the PDF for the Orbital Can Architecture paper, I was curious to see if it had been published by the IAC to the internet. I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw it was, but something caught my eye. On the drafts that we worked on, my name is in the co-authors section, and I my writing is in the final draft paper, but on the IAC website as well as the official PDF available on the internet (outside of that which is on our website), my name is nowhere to be found. Is there any way to change this? I think there must be a way to change the authors list. I would like to be included in the authors list as I did participate in the research, as well as in the writing of the document which is publicly available, and would like to have my participation denoted on said document. I think having a published paper without mention of an author is a slight issue. I have the bonafides to show I did participate in it if that is at all in question/doubt. Thank you very much
OrestBryk February 2, 2022 @ 8:14pm
Hello guys, I have a question for those that participated in the IAC and our publications
codeflight February 1, 2022 @ 12:53am
I think that's a good idea
Cimmero (Enrico) January 31, 2022 @ 11:53pm
I noticed that in the #ocs-about the links to the IAC papers send you to a temporary draft of the paper, uncompleted. This is for all except the UBM. I think those link should be updated with the submitted paper, and in PDF formats so their formatting stays readable and consistent through web platforms. What do you think @Orbital Can ?
Cimmero (Enrico) January 25, 2022 @ 2:26pm
agenda
Cimmero (Enrico) January 25, 2022 @ 2:26pm
https://space2022.b2b-wizard.com/expo/agenda
Cimmero (Enrico) January 25, 2022 @ 2:24pm
this is the direct link to the video https://player.vimeo.com/video/669748539?h=df926461f2
Cimmero (Enrico) January 25, 2022 @ 2:21pm
in particular, the "Panel: Cutting Edge Research on Space Stations " session, 40min
Cimmero (Enrico) January 25, 2022 @ 2:20pm
Not sure if you can access, i am a partecipatn of the conference. Let me know if you can see it
Cimmero (Enrico) January 25, 2022 @ 2:20pm
https://space2022.b2b-wizard.com/expo/vod
Ross (/u/_albertross) December 17, 2021 @ 5:58pm
The event was created by @​Next Astro Koen so he should be able to deactive it, but anyone with the Manage Server permission can as well
rough93 December 17, 2021 @ 5:56pm
Who configured the bot?
KaleOverlord (Alex) December 17, 2021 @ 2:10pm
@​Next Astro Koen has maybe had trouble disabling it through the bot, since it does it every 2 weeks but it schedules the meeting exactly as it starts every time and has done so many months
Szymek (Simon) Matkowski December 16, 2021 @ 10:17pm
Cancel pls. The event maker pops outnon the time event is to be held
rough93 December 16, 2021 @ 7:05pm
can we cancel the recurring meeting for this? It isn't being used as much it seems, and we only get 5 slots for those
Iyosha December 13, 2021 @ 2:37pm
I can imagine that any profit that does come back in would be cycled into development and furthering of other projects, which is just really exciting 🙂
Cimmero (Enrico) December 13, 2021 @ 2:35pm
no, Nexus will always be Non - Profit. Commercial ventures swill be a spin off out of NA, most probanly in the form BiGRed highlithed 5 comments above: Joint Ventures
kyle🚀 December 13, 2021 @ 2:22pm
In us you can basically launch anything besides living things in to space on your own with the right permits
Iyosha December 13, 2021 @ 2:21pm
Yup, apparently there are a lot of rules and regulations that need to be followed for launching something into space, at least from the UK and USA, I'm not sure about other countries but I can imagine the same will apply to a differing degree at different places.
bigred December 13, 2021 @ 1:27pm
yes.... that is why we need the structure we have been working on and the items i laid out above. Commercial entities want ROI. they need confidence that there is an actual product - not just a dream. They need to see that there is competent and recognised engineering involved. As an architect you understand that if you ask an investor to fund a high rise that I have designed, as a non-architect with no commercial building experience or qualifications then the investor will not do it. We have to ensure we have followed the recognised business procedures...... these projects are to do with space so we must do it correctly, even if only for human safety factors 🙂 Crowd funding will not raise the necessary industry involvement. Right now the public is just not allowed to be involved with launching anything unless it is approved by the state and the industry big players. A very good part of that is liability for (a) human death in space (b) we dont want things dropping out of the sky on a city....human deaths on earth. A large part of the idea is the same as the marine industry.... if you get in trouble in space then the state has to come up there and bail you out. So we need traction within the industry. Crowd funding is for people who want to bypass the usual industry standard methods for relatively small amounts of cash
Cimmero (Enrico) December 13, 2021 @ 1:11pm
But fundraising should be done by commercial entities right? I mean you can do crowdfunding like Stargate guys but I am not sure what you can achieve with that
bigred December 13, 2021 @ 12:12pm
@​Szymek (Simon) Matkowski is correct in that defining everything is the first step before becoming to caught up in the dream. However to answer your question the correct structure is a JV between NA and the funding entities. The positions and IP are then determined within the structure of the JV to ensure the primary designers and NA corp entity have some level of management, design or development input with some level of return going to NA, some level of royalties or disbursement going to the designers and ROI going to the investors. These structures are quite easy and common..... what NA has been missing in the past is the business plan and proper definitions of the projects. There needs to be project plans and definitions and then it can go to engineering for correct specification. After that it goes to modelling and we test the theory to see if it works. Beyond that NA needs to show that it has started to prototype at least the testbed and has raised some form of funds for that...... Only after that are commercial entities going to be interested. So best idea is to help simon put this together so we can follow that path. 🙂 🙂
Szymek (Simon) Matkowski December 13, 2021 @ 7:09am
@​Cimmero (Enrico) first I want to make sure proper skills are defined and tasks delegated before we may think of any software funding request . I would hesitate to provide licenses just for some 3D fun..
sudo killall windows December 12, 2021 @ 11:09pm
Since this might be for profit, probably wrapped in the main nexus aurora non profit so it can be for profit
Tech_And_Sci December 12, 2021 @ 11:07pm
For this
Tech_And_Sci December 12, 2021 @ 11:07pm
Would NA need to spin off its own sister company?
Cimmero (Enrico) December 12, 2021 @ 10:42pm
This development should be funded by someone. This is a good part of a business plan. Now with this, NA need to find the people interested to fund this. Possibly all space station construction companies
Szymek (Simon) Matkowski December 12, 2021 @ 4:43pm
@Orbital Can I proposed a list of Specialists for UBM (and not only I think) -and their skills - for next stage: detailed design It is here (an the bottom) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bB40Gyvr-X1kGbPMDcR7IMwTblB64YksdUdaNQQM-F4/edit?usp=sharing Any comments,suggestions, proposals - warm welcomed (best if discussed in #ocs-universal-berthing-mechanism chat as well)
OrestBryk December 11, 2021 @ 8:41pm
Great!
bigred December 10, 2021 @ 8:23am
this is a good place to start understanding the processes - get the specifications on what is necessary, what qualifications are needed, what engineering specs are obligatory and what is necessary for an entity to become a partner. This is the first step because if NA doesnt fit the specs,qualifications or able to produce the proper engineering requirements then submitting anything will be a negative for future prospects.
Cimmero (Enrico) December 9, 2021 @ 6:06pm
The deadline for submitting the executive summary is on 28 January 2022. The full response should be sent by 31 March 2022.
Cimmero (Enrico) December 9, 2021 @ 6:03pm
For entities based in ESA nations , with possibility to team up with international partners
Cimmero (Enrico) December 9, 2021 @ 6:03pm
@Orbital Can , this is a call from ESA for RFI about habitations and science in orbit
Cimmero (Enrico) December 9, 2021 @ 6:01pm
https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Human_and_Robotic_Exploration/Europe_opens_up_a_new_space_to_commercial_services
Cimmero (Enrico) December 9, 2021 @ 6:01pm
Emailing Request_for_Information_Services_for_Human_Space_Exploration.pdf
Iyosha December 3, 2021 @ 10:30pm
Went to the chat that Tim did but unfortunately missed most of it due to other stuff going on. Pretty sure he said he'd post it to YouTube too though.
Cimmero (Enrico) December 3, 2021 @ 10:06pm
Anything interesting happened?
Iyosha December 3, 2021 @ 7:33pm
I signed up, but have had no email through as yet. Any chance someone could send me the zoom link?
Iyosha December 3, 2021 @ 4:52pm
I may be able to attend this, or I may have passed out by 8pm my time today :)
Tech_And_Sci December 2, 2021 @ 8:33pm
I'll try to see if I can make it to the session tomorrow. Any representation of NA being interested in their project would also be an excellent thing
Cimmero (Enrico) December 2, 2021 @ 8:33pm
The graphic of the event is also getting more colourful 😄
Cimmero (Enrico) December 2, 2021 @ 8:32pm
Tomorrow we can ask them all our questions 😉
Cimmero (Enrico) December 2, 2021 @ 8:32pm
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/oacspace_qa-session-with-our-coo-tim-alatorre-happening-activity-6872263196145700865-efy-
Ross (/u/_albertross) December 1, 2021 @ 3:11pm
Feeding the crew - each person needs about 1 tonne per month of consumables, food, replacement hardware parts....
Iyosha December 1, 2021 @ 1:30pm
I guess at the end of the day, if the scene is moving fast, you gotta push the boundaries a bit to try and get things changed and more competitive. Do agree that they'll still need to meet legal criteria and whatnot for putting anything up there, though.